Jesus Walks

Kanye West has never had any qualms about divine imagery. The eponymous artist of the Yeezus album took his nickname after claiming a position over the greater rap community, identifying himself as a "god" of rap (certainly with a lower-case G). Yet, on his Homecoming album, Kanye gives voice to some fascinating sentiments and ideas in his song Jesus Walks.

And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
I want to talk to God, but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long, so long

One of the more notable lines in this song expresses a common misconception of contemporary culture. People believe that with the place their lives are in, or with how long they've been away from faith, they have no right to speak to God or pray.

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
(Jesus walks with them)
To the victims of welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah
(Jesus walks with them)

Kanye acknowledges an important truth of Christianity. No matter what person, where their location, or their stage of life, Jesus walks with them.

I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way I need Jesus

In his final verse, 'Ye acknowledges the fundamental truth: he needs Jesus. In fact, he'd be useless - unable to work - without Jesus.

I admit mixed feelings about this song. It seems like Kanye has almost hit the target with his depiction of Jesus, but then he makes comments like the first quote mentioned above - yet, his doubt is entirely understandable (and incredibly common, which saddens me greatly). I dearly wish that he could find a full understanding of Christ.

This song does present an intriguing opportunity. Kanye West's influence is massive, and his music is nearly ubiquitous. That makes it possible to talk to people nearly everywhere about his music, and use it as a chance to discuss the themes of Christ within it. If Kanye insists on Christ being in his music, then Christ will be in the discussions of his music as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, My Lifeguard